Thursday, August 13, 2009

G- Grandma and Grandpa Calderwood

When I think about my extended family I realize that I am so lucky that I was sent to a family like mine. I am close to all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins. I have a great relationship with all of my grandparents. But I don't think we would all be so close if it wasn't for Grandma and Grandpa Calderwood.



My Grandma and Grandpa Calderwood are the foundation for all of this. I have so many wonderful memories of them starting from when I was a tiny girl. I loved to go to their house. While Christmas's were the highlight and so rowdy with all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins there opening presents in a circle, the whole place as loud as a stadium, I also loved to go and just spend time with Grandma. I remember Fridays and Saturdays in the summers when we would go to garage sales. I remember going with them to Arizona one time and it was a blast. I remember flying with Grandpa in his plane as a little girl. My mom would get sick and would sit in the back and Grandpa would let us come up and sit in the cockpit with him. I remember fishing trips in the bottom of the Black Canyon with all my cousins and how much fun we had together. I remember them being to all my softball games as a child and cheering me on. I remember Grandpas old green jeep with the most annoying horn on the planet.



I was very lucky when I moved to Virginia that Ashlee and I were able to live with them. They were always so much fun to be with. Ashlee used to love it when Grandpa would fall asleep on the couch watching one of his many western movies, snoring out of control, and then she would love to sit with Grandma in her room. I was especially touch when just last year Grandma and Grandpa drove to our house and surprised us with a bunch of food storage at a time when we were really struggling. These are just simple examples of love, kindness and support that they have offered, and then passed down to each of us children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.



More than that, however, they are examples of truth and righteousness. Their constant service to the Lord has blessed generations in the gospel. They have served a mission in St. Croix, and two temple missions. One in Washington D.C and one in Nauvoo. My Grandpa is a sealer in the temple and has sealed many of his Grandchildren within the temple walls, including Bill and I with Ashlee. It is such a powerful experience to be able to have your Grandpa seal you. I believe it creates a clear glimpse into a forever family. Because of my Grandparents examples, our family is strong. They have taught us to love and support one another. They encourage us to build and keep strong relationships amoungst each other. Most of all however, they follow the example of the Savior and have shown each of us the importance to do the same. I thank the Lord for them, and for the blessing they are in my life and my families life.

No comments: