Thursday, August 13, 2009

O-Officer



On Saturday July 25th, a police officer in our town was shot and killed while responding to a domestic violence call. Sgt. David Kinterknect has been on the force with Montrose for many years. I didn't know him well. He was sworn into the Sherriffs Department the same day that Woody (my ex-husband) was in 1995. Then when I got in a car accident while passing through town in 2004 he was the officer who responded. He was thought of highly by so many people. It is a shame that he died while protecting others. On the Friday following his death a funeral was held for him at the high school so it could accomodate all the officers and family members from around the state could attend. Following his funeral his procession came down Main St. in Montrose where the streets were lined with people who came to honor him. I was very touch by the support of our community for this man, and for the law enforcement. I was also touched by all the law enforcement officers from around the state, clear from Denver and New Mexico, that came to honor one of their own. It is sad, however that a town has to have something like this happen to show appreciation for those who serve them. I then thought about all the people who serve and support me, and decided that I need to do a much better job at showing my gratitude at all times, instead of just special occasions.

No comments: