Thursday, January 31, 2008

Leaving A Legacy


The news on Sunday January 27th hit our family hard. We knew that President Hinkley would not live forever but his passing was something that we did not want to happen.


I found out while I was preparing my lesson for seminary. So many thoughts went through my mind all at once but the one that came the quickest was a feeling of insecurity. Wierd I know, but all of a sudden I realized that we were without a prophet on the earth and I didn't like that feeling. Up until that point I really had taken for granted the safety and peace that he had brought to my life. I thought briefly about the Children of Israel and how they must have felt when Moses died. I am sure that they had feeling of insecurity as I did. I believe their situation was a lot more intense, however. I immediately was greatful to live in the last days, in a time where the organization of the church is full. I am greatful and confident to know that there will soon be a Prophet called again of the Lord to lead us here on earth. I loved President Hinkley. I marveled often times at his countenence, how he could walk into a room and you would immediately feel of his love and his testimony, with no words. I treasured his words, his sense of humor, and his wisdom. Another feeling was one of joy as I read his biography online remembering that his dear wife had passed on in 2004. I didn't realize that it had been that long ago but I am sure that those years have been hard on him while they were away. I thought also of President Monson and the great loss he must feel. He has served with President Hinkley for so many years and I am sure he feels that he has not only lost a Prophet, but also a brother. My thoughts continued on to my seminary lesson and past lessons. The following day I was teaching the lesson of Samson and had just finished reading that section in the Old Testament. I began to compare and contrast President Hinkley and Samson. I thought of how Samson had been foreordained to do a great work but failed to obey and honor the Lord. His life was in vain becuase his works were done to serve himself and his vanity. In contrast I thought of President Hinkley and his works. The list of service that he gave for the Lord was impressive. The time that he spent in the service of us, his brothers and sisters. The extreme integrity that he showed at all times. What a legacy!!

And the Legacy was for all generations to adore. Ashlee took the news hard too. She immediately asked me to download a picture of President Hinkley with tears in her eyes. I then realized that he was the only Prophet that she had ever known. he was called 4 days after she was born. She loved him dearly. Yesterday as I was in her room I notice that she had put the picture in the clear pocket of her school binder so that she could see it. I asked her about it and she said that many of her friends have asked her who it is. She tells them that he was the Prophet and about him. One inactive boy asked if she could get him a copy for himself. What an easy way to be a missionary.

I am grateful to President Hinkley for his tremendous example of service in my life. For his countenence of love for not only those that he served but most of all for the Savior. I am grateful that he is now with his family and our Heavenly Father.


No comments: